As we wind down our school year, I would like to extend congratulations on behalf of the PTA, to our graduating 5th graders. This is only the beginning in what will be an exciting life-long journey of learning. This has been great school year, and it’s my hope that our students will keep fond memories of their experiences at Crofton Elementary close in mind and heart.
The end of the school year marks the end of my journey as PTA President. I had the luxury of being flanked by Johnny Saint Amour and Gary Heldt throughout my two-year tenure, and I frankly could not have done this job with out them – thanks guys! I would also like to thank the many parents, teachers, administrators and adult volunteers who have supported the amazing programs we have brought to this community. Most elementary school PTAs that I’ve spoken with, host half as many fun and enriching programs and have half the student enrollment. Leading a PTA of this size and scale is no small endeavor. It would not have been possible if it weren’t for the volunteers who dedicated countless hours to lead and support the programs – to all of you, thank you!
Often parents and students are unaware of all the amazing PTA programs — it only happens because we have a committed PTA. PTA membership continues to decline year over year, and volunteerism becomes increasingly reliant on a core (but shrinking) group of dedicated parents. To continue to deliver these programs, we need EVERY family to step up, become members and get involved. If you sit back and just expect the programs to happen, you will likely witness the end of these enjoyable and enriching programs. Consider stepping up your involvement in our school next year.
Here is a summary of this year’s great programs, services and support functions provided by Your PTA.
- Back to School Ice Cream Social
- Holly Jolly Workshop
- Monster Mash with Mad Scientist Lab
- Field Day refreshments
- Volunteer support for school-hosted programs including Field Day, STEM Fair, Book Fair, Art Room/Square Art Support and Kindergarten Orientation
- Reading Enrichment programs including Accelerated Reader, Book-It! and Reading Olympics
- Laser Light Show assembly – Black History Tribute during Black History Month
- Junior Achievement Day
- PAW Printers
Teacher Appreciation programs
- 1st Day of School Teachers Breakfast
- Back to School Night Teachers Dinner
- Teacher Appreciation Week celebrations
- Professional development lunches
- Teacher appreciation gifts
- Membership Drive
- Room Parents program
- Fundraising events including Crofton Cubbies on the Run, Box Tops/Labels for Education, Ledo Pizza Night that funded Chromebooks for every grade at our school as well as all the above-listed programs.
- Custom Teacher Door Signs
- Health Room Support
- School Supply Kits
- Spirit Wear apparel
- E-News weekly publications
- Social media communication with Facebook
- CES-PTA.com website content and technical management
- Committee Chairpersons/Program Leaders
- And of course, legislative board officers: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
We are fortunate to have several new board officers assuming responsibility for the PTA starting July 1st. Thank you to Megan Watson for stepping up as our new PTA President, Jenn Bach filling the Vice President vacancy, Traci Hurst-Morataya as our new Secretary, and Gary Heldt returning as our Treasurer. It’s reassuring to be passing the torch to such a great leadership team. I wish them success in continuing the great traditions and exploring new ideas in support of PTA’s mission. To our CES community, have a safe and enjoyable summer — see you in the fall.
PTA President, 2015-2017